Spanish GP - Chicken in Bravas Sauce and Sangria
Part of the fun of cooking new recipes from around the world is discovering new flavors. Often I lean toward quintessential dishes. Sometimes even "the dish" of a country. And sometimes I just want to be inspired by the flavors, the scents, the look, or feel of a place and its food.
For the Spanish GP I wanted something easy, tasty, and full of smoked paprika. This recipe did not disappoint.
Full disclaimer, as the original author of this recipe fully admits this is not actually an authentic Spanish dish, but more of a Spanish-ish dish with lots of Spanish inspired ingredients. I am all for experimentation and smoky paprika, also this was tasty, so thanks to Julia for playing around with Spanish flavors and creating this deliciousness.
Spanish-ish Chicken in Bravas Sauce
From Julia Frey of Vikalinka
For the bravas sauce
Olive Oil- 1 tbs.
1 yellow onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, sliced
1 red chili, minced
1 carrot, diced
Fresh or dried thyme- 2-3 sprigs (1 tsp)
1- 14 oz can chopped tomatoes
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
For the chicken
1 Tbsp olive oil
8 bone-in chicken thighs
1tsp Spanish smoked paprika
1 red pepper, sliced
1 – 14 oz can butter beans or any other white beans
½ cup green olives, any kind
salt and pepper
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a saucepan and add chopped onion, cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add sliced garlic, minced chili, chopped carrot, and thyme (leaves only) and cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour in canned chopped tomatoes (including liquid), vinegar and a pinch of salt and pepper, turn the heat up and bring to a boil, then turn the heat down and let the sauce simmer for 10 minutes until thick.
- When you are satisfied with the thickness of the sauce take it off the heat, pour it in a food processor or a blender and blend until smooth and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Sprinkle chicken thighs with Spanish paprika and salt on both sides and brown in a skillet until golden but not cooked all the way through. Cook in batches to avoid overcrowding. Set aside and drain fat from the skillet.
- Add bravas sauce to the same skillet, put chicken on top and scatter butter beans, olives, and sliced red pepper all over.
- Bake uncovered in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Serve over rice.
5 Ingredient Sangria
From the Minimalist Baker
1/2 pineapple, chopped
1 orange, sliced into thin rounds and then halved
/2 pear or stone fruit, cubed
750 ml bottle red Spanish wine (or Spanish style like a tempranillo or granacha)
1 cup (240 ml) fresh orange juice
- Slice fruit and drop into a large pitcher.
- Add orange juice and wine and stir.
- Refrigerate until serving, at least 4 hours, up to 2 days.
And, for a little bit more aesthetic enjoyment, here are the, again, absolutely amazing Spanish GP posters from Ferrari, Williams, and Renault: